Welcome to Hyper Score Marvel (#29) where every week I use Hypercorps 2099 to put together an iconic hero or villain from the world’s most popular superhero universe! This series is no longer dual-system and only for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (there’s lots of excellent free D&D 5E stuff, most notably the Warhammer 40k D&D 5E Hack or Street Fighter D&D 5E).
WTF is Mike doing this week?
Sent a resume to EN5ider for the editor gig but otherwise it’s been more layout! Book of Exalted Darkness is finally, finally done and off to the printer for proofing (as long as the file is approved) and now I’m colorizing the B&W Mists of Akuma core book because something with the printing process changed so it’s spitting out ultra-black prints again (which are not of sufficient quality). There’s been some other project goings-on for the upcoming Imperial Matchmaker Kickstarter (like this guy here), but mostly I’ve been spending intimate time with Adobe InDesign.
Back to the Blog: Last time we had Punisher and next we’ve got Human Torch, Doctor Doom, Invisible Woman, Loki, Mister Negative, Colossus, and Speedball. More requests are always welcome however—I’ll get to them all eventually! The full cast (as well as all my other statblocks) are easily accessible in big ol lists over on the index page and run the gamut from the Thing to Luke Cage and the Defenders and even Squirrel Girl. Also—there are free PDFs for Hypercorps 2099 (wherein you can get a look at how all these hyper abilities function).
MR. FANTASTIC (aka Reed Richards) CR 19—XP 204,800
Male human alchemist (scientific innovator[VC]) 7 [hs 10; hypernaut 2/meganaut 2]
LG Medium humanoid (hyper, human); Hero Points 5
Init +13; Awareness +12
AC 34, bullet 34, touch 29, flat-footed 25 (+5 armor, +5 deflection, +3 Dex, +6 dodge, +5 hyper)
hp 140 (7d8+63+42); Hyper Bonus +5
Fort +18, Ref +13, Will +9
DR 12/—; Immune critical hits, precision-based damage; Resist force 15, sonic 30
Hyper Flaws hyper fetish (techbelt), loved ones, moralist, personal problem (obsessive)
Speed 50 ft.
Melee unarmed +13/+8/+3/-2 (1d10+5)
Ranged [+5] metarifle +18/+13/+8/+3 touch or +16/+16/+11/+6/+1 touch (2d6+10 cold, fire, electric, or sonic, Range 150 ft.) or bomb ranged touch +13 (3d6+9 fire or 3d4+9 force or 3d6+9 acid plus 1d6 acid next round, Range 20 ft., splash 10 ft.)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 25 ft.
Special Attacks bombs 16/day (Reflex DC 22 or catch on fire), hyper bonus +2
Hyper Spell-Like Abilities (CL 17th; concentration +26)
8/day—any spell of 5th-level or lower (spellcasting ability Intelligence [+9])
Scientific Innovator Serums Prepared (CL 17th, extraordinary effects; concentration +26)
- 3rd level (7/day)—arcane sight, bloodhound, burrow, burst of speed, countless eyes, cure serious wounds, displacement, draconic reservoir, elemental aura, fly, haste, marionette possession, monstrous physique I, protection from energy, reloading hands, resinous skin, seek thoughts, thorn body, water breathing
- 2nd (5/day)—ablative barrier, acute senses, alter self, barkskin, bear’s endurance, blur, bull’s strength, bullet shield, cat’s grace, cure moderate wounds, darkvision, defensive shock, delay poison, detect thoughts, elemental touch, fabricate bullets, fire breath*, invisibility, kinetic reverberation, levitate, protection from arrows, resist energy, see invisibility, spider climb
- 1st (3/day)—air bubble, burning hands, cause fear, chill touch, cure light wounds, detect undead, expeditious retreat, faerie fire, feather fall, jump, inflict light wounds, negate aroma, obscuring mist, polypurpose panacea, produce flame, shield, shield of faith, shocking grasp, shock shield stone fist, touch of the sea, true strike, vocal alteration
- Note: Mr. Fantastic knows all of the above serums and at the GM’s discretion may know others. They are worked into devices (and only sometimes extraordinary effect potions) and when the statblock is first used, the GM should choose which he has prepared.
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 26, Int 28, Wis 14, Cha 12
Hyper Constitution 4 (Hyper Fortification, Hyper Resistant, Hyper Tough), Hyper Intelligence 4 (Hyper Analysis +4 for 5 round 4/day, Hyper Ingenuity 4/day, Hyper Smart 4/day, Smart Advice 4/day)
Base Atk +5; CMB +10; CMD 34
Feats Amateur Gunsmith [B], Awareness [B], Brew Potion [B], Combat Expertise, Craft Devices [B], Dodge [B], Gunsmithing [B], Improved Unarmed Strike [B], Mobility, Spring Attack, Throw Anything [B], Weapon Finesse, Whirlwind Attack
Hyper Feats A Bit Aberrant, Extra Hyper Attribute (2), Gadgeteer (2)
Skills Appraise +13, Awareness +12, Craft (alchemy) +15, Craft (devices) +17, Disable Device +13, Heal +6. Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (dungeoneering, geography, nobility, planes) +16, Knowledge (engineering, history, nature, technology) +19, Profession (scientist) +9, Search +17, Sleight of Hand +11, Stealth +7, Survival +7, Use Technology +19, Vehicular Control +7
Languages Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
SQ compression, craft brilliant contraptions, discoveries (acid bombs, force bombs, precise bombs), have gun, hyper attack 3, hyper focus 5/day, hyper initiative, hyper life, hyper mortality, hyper rest, science
Gear [+5] metarifle, [bracers of armor +5], [ring of protection +5], techbelt
NEW HYPERNAUT POWER: Morphing Body
Tier 3; Action full-round action; Range self; Duration varies (see text)
You may stretch your body or pieces of your body up to 250 feet per rank in Morphing Body as a standard action. By spending a full-round action, you can stretch an extra 500 feet per rank (from toe to finger) but each round require a Hyper Check (DC 10 + 1 per previous save) to remain stretched. In addition, you gain the following benefits:
- Your unarmed strikes increase in damage by two steps per rank in Morphing Body.
- Your speed and reach increase by 10 feet per rank in Morphing Body. You can spend a swift action to increase your speed or reach by 20 feet per rank in Morphing Body until the end of your turn.
- The plasticity of your cells grants you damage reduction 2/— per rank in Morphing Body.
- While you are conscious and not wearing armor, you gain a dodge bonus to AC equal to your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier (whichever is highest; maximum equal to your hyper bonus).
- By spending Hero Points you may use Morphing Body to emulate disguise self (1; up to 10 hours), enlarge (1), or polymorph (2; self only, objects only).
I considered a few ways to go about building Reed here with three goals in the fore: “hit up that Intelligence attribute, get that ridiculous DR up, and make sure he can SCIENCE!” Though I started with the metamorph (an alchemist archetype from Ultimate Intrigue) I ended up bringing in the scientific innovator alchemist archetype instead (from Veranthea Codex and available for free here).
It was also obvious pretty quickly that a hypernaut power was going to be required here to cover stretching at the scale required (which is fairly common super power and probably should’ve been in the core Hypercorps 2099 book somewhere).
All that said however, he’s got everything I think I want in a Mr. Fantastic build–he can stretch really far, he’s wicked smart, he can do that top-spin whirlwind attack thingy with hammer fists, there’s a science gun, gadgets out the wazoo, killer Knowledge bonuses (alongside plenty of skill check control with Hyper Intelligence traits), even some piloting skills, and most importantly Iron Man will kick his ass in a toe-to-toe fight. 😉