Dust off your gaming thumbs people! Street Fighter D&D 5E is done and what lay ahead is arguably its only true competitor among fighters in the golden age of video games: MORTAL KOMBAT D&D 5E (yes, all caps, every time). In this series I’ve put together RAW builds using Mists of Akuma (my eastern fantasy noir steampunk campaign setting) to supplement the core rules–with the litany of martial arts stances (playtest versions here) there’s a lot that can be done, and what can’t will get items to bridge the gap. 😀
What follows is obviously divine-drained Raiden and not the full-on god version of the character but otherwise I’m very pleased with how Mists of Akuma handled him!
- One already complete 338 page D&D 5E adventure path hardcover
- city-based mega adventure hardcover that I desperately want to make
- softcover with the iconics of Mists of Akuma
- plus some Shadow of the Demon Lord support (HAIL!)
UPDATE: The project has reached the funding goal and now we’re working on unlocking the first stretch goal (more martial arts stances)!
Medium humanoid (soburi human), lawful good monk (priest) 16
Armor Class 17 (Wisdom, martial arts stance)
Hit Points 104 (16d8+32)
Speed 55 ft.
|10 (+0)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||8 (-1)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)|
Saving Throws Str +5, Dex +7, Con +7, Int +6, Wis +9, Cha +4
Skills Athletics +5, History +6, Nature +6, Religion +6, Stealth +7
Damage Immunities lightning, poison
Condition Immunities disease, poisoned
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Chinese, English, Netherese (Outworlder); all
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
Evasion. When Raiden is subjected to an effect that allows him to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, he instead takes no damage if he succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if he fails.
Ki (16 points/short rest). Raiden can spend ki to fuel the following features:
- Diamond Soul. Whenever Raiden makes a saving throw and fails, he can spend 1 ki point to reroll it and take the second result.
- Flurry of Blows. Immediately after Raiden takes the Attack action on his turn, he can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
- Patient Defense. Raiden can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on his turn.
- Step of the Wind. Raiden can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on his turn.
- Stunning Strike. Raiden can spend 1 ki point to attempt to stun a creature he hits with a melee weapon attack. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of his next turn.
Martial Spellcasting. Raiden has advantage on saving throws that he makes to maintain his concentration on a spell.
Shugyo Conditioning. Raiden can comfortably go without food or drink for 5 days. When he takes a long rest, you requires only 3 hours of sleep.
Spellcasting. Raiden is a 6th-level spellcaster that uses Wisdom as his spellcasting ability (spell save DC 17; +9 to hit with spell attacks). Raiden knows the following spells prepared from the druid (6) and cleric (2) spell lists:
- Cantrips: druidcraft, guidance, resistance
- 1st-level (4 slots): detect magic, fog cloud, guiding bolt, thunderwave
- 2nd-level (3 slots): darkvision, lesser restoration
- 3rd-level (3 slots): call lightning, dispel magic
Stance of the Furious Storm (3). Raiden’s unarmed strikes deal an extra 4 (1d8) lightning damage, he triples the distance of any jumps he makes, and he has immunity to lightning.
Stillness of Mind. Raiden can use his action to end one effect on himself that is causing him to be charmed or frightened.
Timeless Body. Raiden can’t be aged magically and no longer needs food or water.
Unarmed Savant. Raiden’s unarmed strike damage increases by one step (to 1d10) due to his soburi heritage and he gains proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Extra Attack. Raiden attacks twice. In addition, when Raiden uses the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on his turn, he can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
Unarmed. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d10+2) magical bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) lightning damage.
Deflect Missiles. Raiden can use his reaction to deflect or catch the missile when he is hit by a ranged weapon attack. When he does so, the damage he takes from the attack is reduced by 1d10+18. When the damage is reduced to 0, he can catch the missile if it is small enough for him to hold in one hand and he has at least one hand free. If he catches a missile in this way, Raiden can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with the weapon or piece of ammunition he just caught, as part of the same reaction (+7 to hit, range 20/60 ft., 1d10+2 damage).
Slow Fall. Raiden can use his reaction when he falls to reduce any falling damage he takes by 80.