The Super Mario RPG D&D 5E section of this series continues today with Mario’s first companion in that most iconic of video game RPGs: Mallow!
Design Notes: It’s been maybe half a decade since I last played this game but from what I can remember, Mallow doesn’t neatly fit into any of the standard 5E classes–if there was a RAW druid that did not use wildshape at all that’d be perfect, but there isn’t so instead I decided to rock a divine soul ”holy blood” sorcerer (*wink wink nudge nudge*) to get access to healing spells and then put a focus on weather-based magic. If you’re more keen to him putting out damage, swap heal for chain lightning but otherwise our fluffy friend ought to be ready to go into any D&D 5E game. 😀
Medium humanoid (air genasi), neutral good sorcerer (holy blood) 12
Armor Class 16 (mage armor)
Hit Points 66 (12d6+24)
Speed 30 ft.
|8 (-1)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||10 (+0)||10 (+0)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Con +6, Cha +8
Skills Arcana +4, History +4, Insight +4, Perception +4, Persuasion +8
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Primordial
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
Big Lunged. As long as he’s not incapacitated, Mallow can hold his breath indefinitely.
Divine Favor (1/Short Rest). Mallow adds 2d4 to a failed saving throw or missed attack roll, making the saving throw or hitting if the new result beats the DC or AC.
Feat: Diplomatic. Mallow can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the Wisdom (Insight) check of a creature that can understand what he says during 1 minute of talking. On a success, as long as Mallow remains within 60 feet of it (and for 1 minute afterward) the target is charmed by him. Mallow automatically fails on the check if he or his companions are fighting the target.
Feat: War Magic. Mallow has advantage when he is concentrating on a spell and has to make a Constitution saving throw from taking damage, he can wield weapons or a shield in both hands and still make somatic components for spellcasting, and he can use his reaction to cast a spell (maximum casting time: 1 action) at a creature that provokes an opportunity attack from him.
Holy Magic. Mallow’s spells come from the cleric spell list as well as the sorcerer spell list, and he has cure wounds as a bonus spell known.
Sorcery Points (12/Long Rest). Mallow can use sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points.
- Creating Spell Slots & Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on his turn, Mallow can expend one spell slot and either gain a number of sorcerer points equal to the slot’s level or create a spell slot by expending sorcery points (1st-level—2 points, 2nd-level—3 points, 3rd-level—5 points, 4th-level—6 points, 5th-level—7 points).
- Metamagic: Careful Spell. When Mallow casts a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, he can protect some of those creatures from the spell’s full force. To do so, he spends 1 sorcery point and chooses up to 4 creatures. A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.
- Metamagic: Distant Spell. When Mallow casts a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, he can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell. When Mallow casts a spell that has a range of touch, he can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 30 feet.
- Metamagic: Quickened Spell. When Mallow casts a spell that has a casting time of 1 action, he can spend 2 sorcery points to change the casting time to 1 bonus action for this casting.
- Powerful Healing (1/Turn). As long as he’s not incapacitated, Mallow can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll any number of dice from a spell that restores hit points to himself or an ally within 5 feet.
Spellcasting. Mallow is a 12th level spellcaster that uses Charisma as his spellcasting ability (spell save DC 16; +8 to hit with spell attacks). Mallow has the following spells prepared from the cleric and sorcerer spell lists:
- Cantrips: fire bolt, light, mending, ray of frost, shocking grasp, spare the dying
- 1st-level (4 slots): cure wounds, detect magic, fog cloud, healing word, mage armor, shield, thunderwave
- 2nd-level (3 slots): gust of wind
- 3rd-level (3 slots): lightning bolt, revivify
- 4th-level (3 slots): ice storm
- 5th-level (2 slots): cone of cold
- 6th-level (1 slot): heal
Windworker (1/Long Rest). Mallow can cast levitate, requiring no material components, using Constitution as his spellcasting ability.
Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (1d4-1) bludgeoning damage.